Executed in a typical college assignment format…
My father, ever the philosopher, starts different ‘happiness’ campaigns around the house from time to time. This time, he posted a paper saying ‘I am grateful for…’ in our living room.
It was a little offensive as it suggested that we were not thankful to dad and others. But still some one or other did make some additions to it.
I however, have decided to numerate here some (slightly mundane) things my family members have done for me over the past few weeks, just because I want to tell myself that I am grateful for even the smallest pf things!
Things my niece (age 23 months) did for me:
- Made me smile.
- Made me laugh.
- Shared her candy.
- Hugged me.
- Bit me on the cheek (it’s her way of a kiss).
Things my sister-in-law did for me:
- Made me breakfast numerous times during the holidays.
- Brings me my fresh laundry every day.
- Sorted out my clothes and cleaned my closet for me. That was probably to make me ashamed, but still…
- Makes lunch everyday
Things my sister did for me:
- Made me tea numerous times.
- Possibly made me a sandwich when I came back from college. It was either her or my sister-in-law!
- Helps me find freelance work because she has contacts.
- Is having a trouser specially tailored for me.
- Is very patient with the mess I make in our shared room.
Things my other sister did for me:
- Brought me ice cream.
- Gives me pocket money.
- Takes me shopping.
Things my brother did for me:
- Picked me up and dropped me without complain several times.
- Helped dad find and buy a laptop for me.
- On my demand had an awesome custom sticker skin printed for me for said laptop.
- Possibly remembered my favorite color (purple) because he selected that instead of pink for the laptop’s edging.
Thinks my oldest sister did for me:
Fucked up my family life and ruined our trust for eachother 3 years ago.
Things my mom did for me:
- Gave all of us money from the inheritance she just got from her brothers.
- Made me Parathas even though she wasn’t talking to me.
- Fought with me.
- Ruined my self-confidence.
- Isn’t talking to me since one week.
- Said she is only ‘tolerating’ me until I fuck off somewhere.
Things my dad did for me:
- Bought me a new laptop.
- Is going to buy me a new smartphone soon.
- Bought me new headphones.
- In my whole life he has done uncountable things for me; he used to dress me for school when I was a child, before going to work himself. He taught me the Namaz and Wuzu. He tutored me. He took care of me, and still does, when I’m sick.
- Makes me breakfast every morning and has been doing that for the last 8-9 years.
- Is at the gate seeing me off for college still.
I have a lot to be grateful for. And a little to be mad about. I am not ungrateful. I am a spoiled brat. I don’t get along with my mother. I have stopped censoring the word ‘fuck’ into fudge or duck.
And I fucking feel great!